Thursday, February 1, 2007

How to deal with a Slashdotting / Dugging

The game plan is to make a big splash with the debut of the site. Hopefully a full on Slashdotting/Dugg. But all that traffic can be a bad thing - will my servers be able to take it? It's a tough question - I'm using budget shared hosting from Dreamhost, so I doubt their servers will put up with much abuse. How much abuse am I expecting? Well I've read that a typical Slashdotting can range from 50 000-500 000 unique visitors over a couple of days. My biggest fear is the site not being available due to an overloaded server. There are several free mirroring services (Coral, Mirrordot) but I'm worried they won't show my ads properly.


In the end, I think I'll be OK going just with Dreamhost. My site is completely static, and doesn't have any high-resolution images or large files to download. I hope this isn't naïve - if Dreamhost crashes right when I get popular it'll pretty much kill my whole plan, as I doubt many Nerds are actively searching for a site like mine.

No comments: